|A2||Fleurette Africaine (African Flower)
|A6||A Little Max (Parfait)
|B4||Backward Country Boy Blues
- Bass – Charles Mingus
- Design [Cover], Photography By – Frank Gauna
- Drums – Max Roach
- Engineer [Remix] – Malcolm Addey
- Liner Notes – George Wein
- Piano – Duke Ellington
- Producer [Original Session] – Alan Douglas
- Recorded By – Bill Schwartau
- Reissue Producer [Produced For Release], Liner Notes – Michael Cuscuna
℗ & © 1986 Manhattan Records, a division of Capitol Records Inc.
Recorded at Sound Makers, New York City, on September 17, 1962.
#A5, A6, B2, B4: Previously unissued.
#A1 to A4, B1, B3, B5: Originnally issued on United Artists UAS 15017, UAS 5632 amd Solid State SS 18022.
DMM Direct Metal Mastering. Original historical master tape.
“The original 3 track tapes of this session have been remixed to digital tape in order to greatly reduce analog tape hiss and to improve the quality and balance of sound. In the process, another four titles were discovered and are included here.
For the Blue Note reissue of this historic session, we have gone back to the original 3 track masters and and remixed them to digital tape in order to improve the sound of the music and the fidelity. In the process, we discovered four unissued performances (“A Little Max,” “Switch Blade,” “REM Blues,” and “Backward Country Boy Blues”) that are now included on the album. Significantly, these four discoveries are all Duke Ellington compositions that have never been heard before in any form.
– MICHAEL CUSCUNA”
Printed in U.S.A.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode (Text): 0 7777-85129-1 2
- Barcode (Scanned): 0077778512912
- Matrix / Runout (Side A): BST-1-85129-ZI I-I
- Matrix / Runout (Side B): BST-2-85129-ZZ I-2